Faculty of Philosophy in Bratislava on the Gondová street is getting gradually its original face. The former military headquarters building of Imperial-Royal Austro-Hungarian army, built in 1913, now known as a building of Faculty of Philosophy at Comenius University. It was designed by the military engineer Major Joseph Rittner. Large building with several courtyards is left almost unnoticed. It lines the Vajanského nábrežie and Fajnorovo nábrežie by the Danube but the entrance section is completely covered with trees. The building has a distinctive style of the early 20th century, which can be classed as very modern Art Nouveau or the Art Deco.
A special feature of the building are artistic details that gradually being restored by a reputable company for monumental art and craft work NOVOTA – art.
At the top of the building is crowned by elements that indicate its original function. The roof and cupolas were lined with railings that remind you of cannons. The most important part, however, are the ancient military helmets. They large size art works with height of 120 cm. They form protective masks of Roman legions that had a decorative plume and feather crest on the top of them. Helmets are decorated with twisted scrolls and gentle relief with horse motive. They are made of artificial stone. Only a few were preserved but they have been restored in full and numbers just today.
The roof of the building of the former headquarters (now University) was visible from afar and also from the other side of the Danube. Along the (new at a time) Franz Joseph’s iron bridge over the Danube the building belonged to the dominants of the waterfront and even the new Šafárikovo Square which to of the century was being built.
After a long time those authentic architectural details in the original form will be mounted again.